19 Jan 2013

I Have Returned!


I'd just like to reassure you all that I'm not dead, just newly resuscitated. It was quite a grueling Christmas for me, I think the busiest I've ever had, imagine fire juggling and plate spinning at the same time and you might come somewhere close. I very stupidly decided to run two market stalls and a a craft shop over Christmas, oh and don't forget making all that stock too; complete insanity. If I plan on having the same lapse in judgement next year I will need to start making my stock in June! So hence the fact that this blog was completely abandoned for the past two months. 


I would have come back sooner after the festive season except I got some really bad news. You know the shop that I spend nearly a year working on, yep that one that was only open for a mere seven weeks? Well it closed on Christmas Eve. Part of the deal that we got always had the risk of someone coming along and renting the space at full price, we just never expected it to happen so quickly. We had great sales for the time we were open, and there was an amazing response from the public; people were delighted to see that kind of shop open at last in Limerick. But sadly after a two day break at home we had to come back and pack up the shop in just a mere few days. To be honest I found the whole process quite heart breaking and wanted to run away from the world. I'm generally not a grumpy person, but I've been no fun to be around the past few weeks. But I've started looking around auctioneers again and we've come up with a couple of promising places to restart the shop again. Next time we will definitely be asking for a minimum contract, we have to safeguard ourselves against that happening again. chin up, onwards and upwards and all that other stuff....

To help myself get back to some level of sanity I started painting again, after the rush for Christmas I didn't have any inclination to make my own crafts, I'm a bit sick of looking at them at the moment. I wanted to make something just for me, that was about selling, or a profit margin, that wasn't commercial, just making something for the heck of it. I spent a couple of days in the studio just painting, with no particular goal in mind, and was really lovely. It gave me the head space to feel positive again, it allowed me the time to blank out the rest of the world. They are both at the early stage, and I'm not sure where I'm going with them, but I like that i don't really care. Here's to feeling sane again!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Keep up to date on all my regular posts with my RSS Feed or follow me on Facebook and Twitter
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Yippee! Welcome back! Reading through my daily blog feed of posts wasn't the same without your posts! Great to hear you're resting up! Seeing how busy you were over Christmas, I'm surprised you're still standing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I was missed! I also appreciated the FB kick up the arse you gave me asking if I was coming back, it was a good reminder!

      Delete
  2. YES...Welcome back. Pleased that you did have sales despite the forced closure.Good luck for your next venture...yes a contract of some sort would save you from nasty suprises like that! Painting is a great way to change focus,I hope you are going to post the developments, being a lapsed painter I find other peoples 'paths' very interesting. Good Luck for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I must do an update post as I get further along in the work

      Delete
  3. Wow it sounds like it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride! I had no idea the shop closed. That's so disappointing after all the work involved, but I genuinely believe things happen for a reason, no matter how incomprehensible those reasons might be when it's happening. Better times to come no doubt. Glad to see you are painting just for YOU. We forget to look after our own creativity sometimes in this madness that is running a craft business. And your Christmas season sounds like it was definitely madness. I don't know how you do it! Take care XO
    LolaDee
    www.loladee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure sometimes how/why I do it. It's good to have other crazy creatives around too who understand, sometimes my family really don't get it when I try to explain, it's great to have a community that gets the madness!

      Delete

Nice Day Designs loves hearing what you have to say...please leave a comment below

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...